Herbies Spices Recipes
1 tablespoon flour
1 small onion, finely diced
½ green capsicum, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
¼ cup tomato puree
1 tablespoon Herbie’s Spices Cajun Spice Mix
½ teaspoon Herbie’s Spices dried Thyme leaves
1 Herbie’s Spices Bay Leaf
1 litre fish stock
10 small okra, chopped
200g shelled & deveined green prawns
200g crab meat
1 teaspoon Herbie’s Spices File Powder
- Make a roux by mixing oil and flour together until smooth in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, capsicum and garlic.
- Saute until onion is transparent.
- Add tomatoes and puree, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and salt and pepper.
- Cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add stock and okra.
- Bring to the boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add seafood.
- Mix file powder with a cup of stock, then stir into the gumbo.
- Serve in bowls over cooked white rice.
DO NOT REHEAT after file is added, as the gumbo will become stringy. If you think that you have made more than will be consumed in one meal, add a little file powder to each bowl instead of to the pot, so that leftovers can be reheated as needed.