Herbies Spices Recipes
700g lean beef mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
4 teaspoons Porcini powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons oregano
1 tablespoon plain flour
100 g mushrooms, trimmed and finely chopped
2 shallots, white part only, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 C and prepare a shallow oven tray.
- Combine meat with onion, garlic, porcini, salt, tomato paste, and oregano, and mash together with clean hands. Add about a tablespoon water to make mixture soft but still firm enough to hold a loaf shape.
- Form meat into a loaf approx 20cm X 10 cm, and transfer to baking tray. Place in oven.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes, until juice runs clear when loaf is pierced with a skewer.
- Turn off oven, transfer cooked loaf to a clean serving dish and return to oven to keep warm.
- Place baking tray over medium heat and add oil if the lean meat has not given up oil during cooking. Add mushrooms and shallots, cook a couple of minutes until softened.
- Move mushroom mixture to one side and stir in flour to make a paste, then add water whilst stirring constantly to make a smooth gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve slices of meat loaf with mushroom gravy spooned over.